Pyrgi is often called the “painted village” because of the detailed decorative motives on the buildings’ facades. It is the largest medieval village of Chios located at a 25-kilometre-distance from Chios town.
Despite the transformations it has gone under during the years, Pyrgi still maintains its medieval scent. It has architectueral interest. Its defensive design is typical of the southern villagesThe Agioi Apostoli (Holy Apostles) temple, built following the design of Nea MoniMoni’s church is an excellently preserved byzantine monument.
It was built between the 13th and 14th century. The external architectural elements and the wall paintings are very well preserved. The wall paintings date back to 1665 and were made by the Cretan painter Antonios Domestichos.
For more information click here